1. (TCO 1) The two overarching goals of ________ are to increase quality and years of healthy life and to eliminate health disparities.
Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)
Healthy People 2010
the American Dietetic Association (ADA)
2. (TCO 1) For dinner, Bill consumes 255 grams of carbohydrate, 70 grams of protein, and 50 grams of fat. In addition, Bill decides that he wants a glass of wine with his meal. If he drinks one glass of wine containing 8 grams of alcohol, how many total kilocalories does he consume in this meal?
3. (TCO 1) Which of the following nutrients contains the element nitrogen?
4. (TCO 1) The building blocks of proteins are called:
5. (TCO 1) Which of the following nutrients is the most energy dense?
6. (TCO 1) Which of the following is NOTa primary function of dietary protein?
Building new cells and tissues
Repairing damaged structures
Regulating metabolism and fluid balance
Serving as a primary source of energy for the body
7. (TCO 2) Healthier fat sources include ________ and canola oil.
8. (TCO 2) Which of the following professional titles has no definition or laws regulating it?
9. (TCO 2) The government agency that regulates the food labels on fresh meat and poultry in the United States is the:
10. (TCO 2) What percentage of deaths in the United States can be attributed to unhealthy lifestyle behaviors such as smoking, alcohol misuse, physical inactivity, and unbalanced diet?
11. (TCO 2) The ________ is most responsible for prompting individuals to seek food.
12. (TCO 2) Which of the following is required on all food labels?
the net contents of the package
the name and address of the vendor
all of these
13. (TCO 3) Digestion and absorption occur at the ________ level.
14. (TCO 3) Bob eats his breakfast and his GI tract will now begin the process of digesting and absorbing the nutrients from this meal. What is the order in which each of the organs of the GI tract will work to achieve this process?
mouth: esophagus: small intestine: stomach: large intestine
mouth: esophagus: stomach: small intestine: large intestine
mouth: stomach: esophagus: small intestine: large intestine
mouth: stomach: esophagus: large intestine: small intestine
15. (TCO 3) Which of the following organs is responsible for the manufacturing and secretion of many digestive enzymes and bicarbonate?
16. (TCO 3) Proteins that act to speed up body processes, but are not changed in the process, are called:
17. (TCO 3) In which of the following food sources would a consumer look for the statement “Live Active Cultures,” indicating that the product is a rich source of probiotics?
18. (TCO 4) Yogurt is tolerated better than milk by many lactase-deficient people because:
yogurt has no lactose
yogurt is acidic
it has a thicker consistency
bacteria in yogurt help digest the lactose.
19. (TCO 4) ________ is a technique employed by some endurance athletes to increase their storage of muscle glycogen.
20. (TCO 4) Diabetes is a condition in which the body doesn’t process ________ properly.
21. (TCO 4) Sugar alcohols are most often used in which of the following products?
22. (TCO 4) Which of the following ethnic groups has the LOWEST incidence of lactose intolerance?
23. (TCO 4) The simplest units of carbohydrates are called:
24. (TCO 4) Lactose intolerance is due to a(n):
deficiency of lactose
deficiency of lactase
deficiency of the GI flora (healthy bacteria)
allergy to casein (milk protein)
25. (TCO 4) Which of the following carbohydrates is the end product of photosynthesis?
26. (TCO 1-6) An estimated ________ of all chicken eggs in the U.S. are contaminated with Salmonella.
27. (TCO 1-6) Which of the following is an example of a persistent organic pollutant?
28. (TCO 1-6) Hepatitis A is a food-borne virus that can result in ________ damage.
29. (TCO 1-6) Which of the following is FALSE regarding the prion that causes mad cow disease?
It can survive traditional cooking temperatures.
It is found in tissue of the central nervous system of infected animals.
Ground meats are most often contaminated.
It is concentrated in the milk and muscle meat of animals.
30. (TCO 1-6) The proper steps developed for canning foods ensures that all endospores of ________ are eliminated when followed carefully.
31. (TCO 1-6) The primary method used to preserve seafood is:
32. (TCO 1-6) Which of the following is an example of food intoxication?
33. (TCO 1-6) Which of the following is TRUE concerning the safe storage of leftovers?
Leftovers should be refrigerated within two hours of serving.
Leftovers should be stored at a depth of no greater than two inches.
Leftovers should only be refrigerated for up to four days.
All of these are true
34. (TCO 1-6) The primary symptom of Giardia infection is:
35. (TCO 5) Which type of dietary fat is known to elevate blood cholesterol levels?
Both saturated and trans
36. (TCO 5) Where in the body are the majority of triglycerides stored for future energy needs?
Beta cells of the pancreas
37. (TCO 5) The process of adding hydrogen to an unsaturated fatty acid and creating a more solid fat is called:
38. (TCO 5) A fatty acid that contains a chain of 10 carbons and one double bond is termed a:
saturated, medium chain
saturated, long chain
monounsaturated, medium chain
monounsaturated, long chain
39. (TCO 5) Which of the following ingredients would alert you to the presence of trans-fatty acids in a product?
high fructose corn syrup
hydrogenated vegetable oil
liquid corn oil
40. (TCO 5) Sex hormones and adrenal hormones are substances derived from which class of lipid?
41. (TCO 5) Which of the following triggers the breakdown of stored fat?
42. (TCO 5) How many calories are potentially provided by 25 grams of fat?
43. (TCO 6) The specific function of a protein is determined by:
its sequence of amino acids.
its three-dimensional shape.
its electric charge
44. (TCO 6) Which of the following is NOT typically a nutrient of concern for vegans?
45. (TCO 6) Which of the following health problems has been associated with high protein intakes?
Elevated blood cholesterol
Sickle cell anemia
46. (TCO 6) What element makes protein different from carbohydrates and fat?
47. (TCO 6) The absorption of proteins occurs in the:
48. (TCO 6) A complete protein:
contains all 20 amino acids.
contains all nine essential amino acids.
has not been denatured.
is composed of only di- and tri-peptides
49. (TCO 6) Well-planned vegetarian diets can reduce the risk of all of the following chronic diseases EXCEPT:
50. (TCO 6) Of the 20 amino acids relevant to the human body, how many are considered essential?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.