BCC Project Calculus part 1 Spring 2014
1. Show that the equation has exactly 1 real root.
2. Research the function and build the graph . On the same graph draw and compare their behavior.
3. Find the point on the line , closest to the point (2,6)
4. Research the function and sketch the graph
5. At 2:00 pm a car’s speedometer reads 30 mph. At 2:10 pm it reads 50 mph. Show that at some time between 2:00 and 2:10 the acceleration was exactly 120 mi/h2.
6. Find the dimensions of the rectangle of the largest area that has its base on the x-axis and its other two vertices above the x-axis and lying on the parabola .
7. Find , if
8. Prove the identity
9. Given tanh(x) = 0.8. Find other 5 values of hyperbolic functions: sinh(x), cosh(x), sech(x), csch(x), coth(x).
10. Research and build the graph: h(x) = (x + 2)3 – 3x – 2
11. Find the number c that satisfies the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem.
f(x) = 5x2 + 3x + 6
xÎ [-1, 1]
12. Evaluate the limit: a) ; b)
13. Sketch the curve. y = x/(x2+4)
14. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in a right triangle with legs of lengths 5 cm and 6cm if two sides of the rectangle lie along the legs.
15. The altitude of a triangle is increasing at a rate of 1 cm/min while the area of the triangle is increasing at a rate of 2 cm sq. per minute. At what rate is the base of the triangle changing when the altitude is 10 cm and the area is 100 cm sq?________________________________________________________________________
16. Use a linear approximation or differentials to estimate the given number:
17. Prove the identity: cosh 2x = cosh2x + sinh2x
18. Prove that the formula for the derivative of tangent hyperbolic inverse :
19. Show that the equation has exactly one real root.
Find the intervals on which F(x) is increasing or decreasing. Find local maximum and minimum of F(x). Find the intervals of concavity and the inflection points.
20. Suppose that for all values of x.
Show that .
21. Suppose that the derivative of a function f(x) is :
On what interval is f (x) increasing?
22. Explore and analyze the following three functions.
a) Find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes. I.
b) find the intervals of increase or decrease. II.
c) find local maximum and minimum values. III.
d) find the intervals of concavity and the inflection points.
e) use the information from parts a) to d) to sketch the graph
23. A piece of wire 10 m long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent into a square and the other is bent into an equilateral triangle. How should the wire be cut so that the total area enclosed is a) maximum ? b) minimum ?
24. Find the point on the line that is closest to the origin.
25. Sketch the graph of
26. Find f(x) if
27. Express the limit as a derivative and evaluate:
28. The volume of the cube is increasing at the rate of 10 cm3/min. How fast is the surface area increasing when the length of the edge is 30 cm.
29. Evaluate dy, if , x = 2, dx = 0.2
30. Find the parabola that passes through point (1,4) and whose tangent lines at x = 1 andx = 5 have slopes 6 and -2 respectively.
31. Cobalt-60 has a half life of 5.24 years. A) Find the mass that remains from a 00 mg sample after 20 years. B) How soon will the mass of 100 mg decay to 1 mg?
32. Find the points on the figure where the tangent line has slope 1.
33. Suppose that a population of bacteria triples every hour and starts with 400 bacteria.
(a) Find an expression for the number n of bacteria after t hours.
(b) Estimate the rate of growth of the bacteria population after 2.5 hours. (Round your answer to the nearest hundred.)
34. Find the n-th derivative of the function y = xe-x
35. Find the equation of the line going through the point (3,5), that cuts off the least area from the first quadrant.
36. Research the function and sketch its graph. Find all important points, intervals of increase and decrease
a) y =
b) y =
37. Use Integration to find the area of a triangle with the given vertices: (0,5), (2,-2), (5,1)
38. Find the volume of the largest circular cone that can be inscribed into a sphere of radius R.
39. Find the point on the hyperbola xy = 8 that is the closest to the point (3,0)
40. For what values of the constants a and b the point (1,6) is the point of inflection for the curve
41. If 1200 sq.cm of material is available to make a box with a square base and an open top, find the largest possible volume of the box.
42. Two cars start moving from the same point. One travels south at 60 mi/h and the other travels west at 25 mi/h. At what rate
is the distance between the cars increasing two hours later?
43. A man starts walking north at 4 ft/s from a point . Five minutes later a woman starts walking south at 5 ft/s from a point
500 ft due east of . At what rate are the people moving apart 15 min after the woman starts walking?
44. At noon, ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing east at 35 km/h and ship B is sailing north at 25 km/h. How fast is the distance between the ships changing at 4:00 PM?
46. Two sides of a triangle have lengths 12 m and 15 m. The angle between them is increasing at a rate of 2 degrees per minute . How fast is the length of the third side increasing when the angle between the sides of fixed length is 60 ?
47. Two people start from the same point. One walks east at 3 mi/h and the other walks northeast at 2 mi/h. How fast is
the distance between the people changing after 15 minutes?
48. The radius of a circular disk is given as 24 cm with a maximum error in measurement of 0.2 cm.
Use differentials to estimate the maximum error in the calculated area of the disk.
49. Use differentials to estimate the amount of paint needed to apply a coat of paint 0.05 cm thick to a hemispherical dome with diameter 50 m.
50. Use a linear approximation (or differentials) to estimate the given number: 2.0015
51. Verify that the function satisfies the hypotheses of the Mean Value Theorem on the given interval. Then find all numbers that satisfy the conclusion of the Mean Value Theorem.
52. Does there exists a function f(x) such that for all x?
53. Suppose that f(x) and g(x) are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b). Suppose also that f(a)=g(a) and f’(x)< g’(x) for a<x<b prove that f(b)<g(b). [Hint: apply the Mean Value Theorem for the function h=f – g. ]
54. Show that the equation has at most 2 real roots.
55 – 58. (a) Find the intervals on which is increasing or decreasing.
(b) Find the local maximum and minimum values of f(x).
(c) Find the intervals of concavity and the inflection points.
(a) Find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes.
(b) Find the intervals of increase or decrease.
(c) Find the local maximum and minimum values.
(d) Find the intervals of concavity and the inflection points.
(e) Use the information from parts (a)–(d) to sketch the graph
62. , for
Find the limits:
67. A stone is dropped from the upper observation deck of a Tower, 450 meters above the ground.
(a) Find the distance of the stone above ground level at time t.
(b) How long does it take the stone to reach the ground?
(c) With what velocity does it strike the ground?
(d) If the stone is thrown downward with a speed of 5 m/s, how long does it take to reach the ground?
68. What constant acceleration is required to increase the speed of a car from 30 mi/h to 50 mi/h in 5 seconds?
A particle is moving with the given data. Find the position of the particle.
69. a(t)= cos(t)+sin(t), s(0)=0, v(0)=5
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.