Intermediate Accounting Chapter 13
Grossman Products began operations in 2011. The following selected transactions occurred from September 2011 through March 2012. Grossman’s fiscal year ends on December 31.
(a.) On September 5, Grossman opened a checking account and negotiated a short-term line of credit of up to $10,000,000 at 10% interest. The company is not required to pay any commitment fees.
(b.) On October 1, Grossman borrowed $8,000,000 cash and issued a 5-month promissory note with 10% interest payable at maturity.
(c.) Grossman received $3,000 of refundable deposits in December for reusable containers.
(d.) For the September through December period, sales totaled $5,000,000. The state sales tax rate is 4% and 75% of sales are subject to sales tax.
(e.) Grossman recorded accrued interest.
(f.) Grossman paid the promissory note on the March 1 due date.
(g.) Half of the storage containers are returned in March, with the other half expected to be returned over the next 6 months.
1. Prepare the appropriate journal entries for the 2011 transactions.
2. Prepare the liability section of the balance sheet at December 31, 2011, based on the data supplied.
3. Prepare the appropriate journal entries for the 2012 transactions.
The following selected transactions relate to contingencies of Eastern Products Inc. which began operations in July, 2011. Eastern’s fiscal year ends on December 31. Financial statements are published in April, 2012.
1. No customer accounts have been shown to be uncollectible as yet, but Eastern estimates that 3% of credit sales will eventually prove uncollectible. Sales were $300 million (all credit) for 2011.
2. Eastern offers a one-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects for all its products. Industry experience indicates that warranty costs will approximate 2% of sales. Actual warranty expenditures were $3.5 million in 2011 and were recorded as warranty expense when incurred.
3. In December, 2011, Eastern became aware of an engineering flaw in a product that poses a potential risk of injury. As a result, a product recall appears inevitable. This move would likely cost the company $1.5 million.
4. In November, 2011, the State of Vermont filed suit against Eastern, asking civil penalties and injunctive relief for violations of clean water laws. Eastern reached a settlement with state authorities to pay $4.2 million in penalties on February 3, 2012.
5. Eastern is the plaintiff in a $40 million lawsuit filed against a customer for costs and lost profits from contracts rejected in 2011. The lawsuit is in final appeal and attorneys advise that it is virtually certain that Eastern will be awarded $30 million.
Prepare the appropriate journal entries that should be recorded as a result of each of these contingencies. If no journal entry is indicated, state why.
The following facts relate to gift cards sold by Sunbru Coffee Company during 2011. Sunbru’s fiscal year ends on December 31.
(a.) In October, 2011 sold $3,000 of gift cards, and redeemed $500 of those gift cards.
(b.) In November, 2011, sold $4,000 of gift cards, and redeemed $1,400 of October gift cards and $700 of November gift cards.
(c.) In December, 2011, sold $3,000 of gift cards, and redeemed $200 of October gift cards, $2,000 of November gift cards, and $400 of December gift cards.
(d.) Sunbru views a gift card to be “broken” (with a remote probability of redemption) two months after the end of the month in which it is sold. Thus, an unredeemed gift card sold at any time during July would be viewed as broken as of September 30.
1. Prepare all journal entries appropriate to be recorded only during the month of December, 2011 relevant to gift card sales, gift card redemptions, and gift card breakage.
2. Determine the balance of the unearned revenue liability to be reported in the December 31, 2011, balance sheet. Show the relevant T-account information to support your answer
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.