For this assessment, you will develop an 8-14 slide PowerPoint presentation with thorough speaker’s notes designed for a hypothetical in-service session related to the improvement plan you developed in Assessment 2.
As a practicing professional, you are likely to present educational in-services or training to staff pertaining to quality improvement (QI) measures of safety improvement interventions. Such in-services and training sessions should be presented in a creative and innovative manner to hold the audience’s attention and promote knowledge acquisition and skill application that changes practice for the better. The teaching sessions may include a presentation, audience participation via simulation or other interactive strategy, audiovisual media, and participant learning evaluation.
The use of in-services and/or training sessions has positive implications for nursing practice by increasing staff confidence when providing care to specific patient populations. It also allows for a safe and nonthreatening environment where staff nurses can practice their skills prior to a real patient event. Participation in learning sessions fosters a team approach, collaboration, patient safety, and greater patient satisfaction rates in the health care environment (Patel & Wright, 2018).
As you prepare to complete the assessment, consider the impact of in-service training on patient outcomes as well as practice outcomes for staff nurses. Be sure to support your thoughts on the effectiveness of educating and training staff to increase the quality of care provided to patients by examining the literature and established best practices.
You are encouraged to explore the AONE Nurse Executive Competencies Review activity before you develop the Improvement Plan In-Service Presentation. This activity will help you review your understanding of the AONE Nurse Executive Competencies—especially those related to competencies relevant to developing an effective training session and presentation. This is for your own practice and self-assessment, and demonstrates your engagement in the course.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Analyze the elements of a successful quality improvement initiative.
o Explain the need for and process to improve safety outcomes related to a specific organizational issue.
o Create resources or activities to encourage skill development and process understanding related to a safety improvement initiative.
· Competency 4: Explain the nurse’s role in coordinating care to enhance quality and reduce costs.
o List the purpose and goals of an in-service session for nurses.
o Explain to the audience their role and importance of making the improvement plan successful.
· Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly, evidence-based strategies to communicate in a manner that supports safe and effective patient care.
o Communicate with nurses in a respectful and informative way that clearly presents expectations and solicits feedback on communication strategies for future improvement.
Patel, S., & Wright, M. (2018). Development of interprofessional simulation in nursing education to improve teamwork and collaboration in maternal child nursing. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursingâ€‹, 47(3), s16–s17.
As a baccalaureate-prepared nurse, you will often find yourself in a position to lead and educate other nurses. This colleague-to-colleague education can take many forms, from mentoring to informal explanations on best practices to formal in-service training. In-services are an effective way to train a large group. Preparing to run an in-service may be daunting, as the facilitator must develop his or her message around the topic while designing activities to help the target audience learn and practice. By improving understanding and competence around designing and delivering in-service training, a BSN practitioner can demonstrate leadership and prove him- or herself a valuable resource to others.
For this assessment it is suggested you take one of two approaches:
1. Build on the work that you have done in your first two assessments and create an agenda and PowerPoint of an educational in-service session that would help a specific staff audience learn, provide feedback, and understand their roles and practice new skills related to your safety improvement plan, or
2. Locate a safety improvement plan through an external resource and create an agenda and PowerPoint of an educational in-service session that would help a specific staff audience learn, provide feedback, and understand their roles and practice new skills related to the issues and improvement goals presented in your chosen context.
The final deliverable for this assessment will be a PowerPoint presentation with detailed presenter’s notes representing the material you would deliver at an in-service session to raise awareness of your chosen safety improvement initiative and to explain the need for it. Additionally, you must educate the audience as to their role and importance to the success of the initiative. This includes providing examples and practice opportunities to test out new ideas or practices related to the safety improvement initiative.
Be sure that your presentation addresses the following, which corresponds to the grading criteria in the scoring guide. Please study the scoring guide carefully so you understand what is needed for a distinguished score.
· List the purpose and goals of an in-service session for nurses.
· Explain the need for and process to improve safety outcomes related to a specific organizational issue.
· Explain to the audience their role and importance of making the improvement plan successful.
· Create resources or activities to encourage skill development and process understanding related to a safety improvement initiative.
· Communicate with nurses in a respectful and informative way that clearly presents expectations and solicits feedback on communication strategies for future improvement.
There are various ways to structure an in-service session; below is just one example:
· Part 1: Agenda and Outcomes.
o Explain to your audience what they are going to learn or do, and what they are expected to take away.
· Part 2: Safety Improvement Plan.
o Give an overview of the current problem, the proposed plan, and what the improvement plan is trying to address.
o Explain why it is important for the organization to address the current situation.
· Part 3: Audience’s Role and Importance.
o Discuss how the staff audience will be expected to help implement and drive the improvement plan.
o Explain why they are critical to the success of the improvement plan.
o Describe how their work could benefit from embracing their role in the plan.
· Part 4: New Process and Skills Practice.
o Explain new processes or skills.
o Develop an activity that allows the staff audience to practice and ask questions about these.
o In the notes section of your PowerPoint, brainstorm potential responses to likely questions or concerns.
· Part 5: Soliciting Feedback.
o Describe how you would solicit feedback from the audience on the improvement plan and the in-service.
o Explain how you might integrate this feedback for future improvements.
Remember to account for activity and discussion time.
For tips on developing PowerPoint presentations, refer to:
· Presentation length: There is no required length; use just enough slides to address all the necessary elements. Remember to use short, concise bullet points on the slides and expand on your points in the presenter’s notes. If you use 2 or 3 slides to address each of the parts in the above example, your presentation would be 10–15 slides.
· Speaker notes: Speaker notes should reflect what you would actually say if you were delivering the presentation to an audience. Another presenter would be able to use the presentation by following the speaker notes.
· APA format: Use APA formatting for in-text citations. Include an APA-formatted reference slide at the end of your presentation.
· Number of references: Cite a minimum of 3 sources of scholarly or professional evidence to support your assertions. Resources should be no more than 5 years old.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Portfolio Prompt: Remember to save the final assessment to your ePortfolio so that you may refer to it as you complete the final Capstone course.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.