Exercises Intro to hypothesis Testing
1. Define the critical region for a hypothesis test, and explain how the critical region is related to the alpha level.
2. The term error is used in two different ways in hypothesis testing: a Type I error (or Type II) and the standard error.
a. What can a researcher do to influence the size of the standard error? Does this action have any effect on the probability o
b. What can a researcher do to influence the probability of a Type I error? Does this action have any effect on the size of the standard error?
3. Some researchers claim that herbal supplements such as ginseng or ginkgo biloba enhance human memory. To test this claim, a researcher selects a sample of n = 25 college students. Each student is given a ginkgo biloba supplement daily for six weeks and then all the participants are given a standardized memory test. For the population, scores on the test are normally distributed with μ = 70 and s = 15. The sample of n = 25 students had a mean score of M = 75.
a. Are the data sufficient to that the herb has a significant effect on memory? Use a two-tailed test with α = .05.
b. Compute Cohen’s d for this study.
4. A researcher would like to determine whether a new tax on cigarettes has had any effect on people’s behavior. During the year before the tax was imposed, stores located in rest areas on the state thruway reported selling an average of µ = 410 packs per day with s = 60. The distribution of daily sales was approximately normal. For a sample of n = 9 days following the new tax, the researcher found an average of M = 386 packs per day for the same stores.
a. Is the sample mean sufficient to conclude that there was a significant change in cigarette purchases after the new tax. Use a two-tailed test with α = .05.
b. If the population standard deviation was s = 30, is the result sufficient to conclude that there is a significant difference?
c. Explain why the two tests lead to different outcomes.
5. A researcher is testing the effectiveness of a new herbal supplement that claims to improve physical fitness. A sample of n = 16 college students is obtained and each student takes the supplement daily for six weeks. At the end of the 6-week period, each student is given a standardized fitness test and the average score for the sample is M = 39. For the general population of college students, the distribution of test scores is normal with a mean of µ = 35 and a standard deviation of s = 12. Do students taking the supplement have significantly better fitness scores? Use a one-tailed test with α = .05.
6. A researcher selects a sample of n = 25 from a normal population with µ = 40 and s = 10. If the treatment is expected to increase scores by 3 points, what is the power of a two-tailed hypothesis test using α = .05.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.