60) Which of the following terms refers to a performance appraisal based on surveys from peers, supervisors, subordinates, and customers?
A) 360-degree feedback
B) team appraisals
C) upward feedback
D) rating committee
59) Upward feedback primarily helps top-level managers to ________.
A) protect the firm against biased appraisals
B) implement organizational strategies
C) compare appraisal techniques
D) diagnose management styles
E) document critical incidents
58) Which of the following terms refers to the process of allowing subordinates to rate their supervisor’s performance anonymously?
A) supplemental evaluation
B) downward feedback
C) upward feedback
D) paired evaluation
E) peer evaluation
57) What usually occurs when employees rate themselves for performance appraisals?
A) Ratings are reliable but invalid.
B) Ratings are subject to halo effects.
C) Logrolling leads to unrealistic ratings.
D) Ratings are higher than when provided by supervisors.
E) Ratings are about the same as when determined by peers.
56) In most firms, a rating committee used for performance appraisals consists of ________ members.
55) Peer appraisals have been shown to result in a(n) ________.
A) reduction of social loafing
B) reduction of group cohesion
C) decrease in task motivation
D) decrease in group satisfaction
E) decrease in logrolling
54) Which of the following terms refers to several peers agreeing to rate each other highly?
A) social loafing
B) group think
D) alliance forging
E) impression management
53) Employee performance appraisals are conducted by all of the following EXCEPT ________.
E) rating committees
52) Who is in the best position to observe and evaluate an employee’s performance for the purposes of a performance appraisal?
C) rating committees
D) top management
E) immediate supervisor
51) Which of the following would most likely result in a legally questionable appraisal process?
A) conducting a job analysis to establish performance standards
B) basing appraisals on subjective supervisory observations
C) administering and scoring appraisals in a standardized fashion
D) using job performance dimensions that are too clearly defined
E) assigning specific trait names when using graphic rating scales
50) All of the following are considered best practices for administering fair performance appraisals EXCEPT ________.
A) explaining how subordinates can improve their performance
B) clarifying in advance what the performance expectations are
C) basing the appraisal on observable job behaviors
D) using subjective performance data for appraisals
E) training supervisors how to conduct appraisals
49) Which of the following is the primary advantage of using graphic rating scales as performance appraisal tools?
A) eliminates central tendency errors
B) offers extremely high rate of accuracy
C) provides quantitative rating for each employee
D) links with mutually agreed upon performance objectives
E) explains how employees can improve their overall performance
48) Stephanie manages the accounting department at an advertising agency. She needs to conduct performance appraisals for the eight employees in her department. Stephanie wants a performance appraisal tool that is highly accurate, ranks employees, and uses critical incidents to help explain ratings to appraisees. Which performance appraisal tool is best suited for Stephanie?
A) graphic rating scale
B) alternation ranking method
C) forced distribution method
D) critical incident method
E) behaviorally anchored rating scale
47) All of the following guidelines will most likely improve the effectiveness of a performance appraisal EXCEPT ________.
A) maintaining a diary of employees’ performance during the year
B) establishing a tool for employees to appeal performance appraisals
C) using a graphic rating scale to ensure fair and consistent ratings
D) knowing the advantages and disadvantages of different appraisal tools
E) developing a plan to assist employees with performance improvement
46) Which of the following is LEAST likely to cause a supervisor’s performance appraisal of a subordinate to be biased?
A) purpose of the appraisal
B) personality of the supervisor
C) location and time of the appraisal
D) personal characteristics of the subordinate
E) relationship between supervisor and subordinate
45) Which of the following has most likely occurred when a supervisor conducting a performance appraisal is influenced by a subordinate’s individual differences such as age, sex, and race?
B) unclear standards
C) central tendency
D) halo affect
44) The best method for reducing the problems of leniency or strictness in performance appraisals is to ________.
A) keep critical incident logs
B) adhere to EEO guidelines
C) require multiple appraisals
D) impose a performance distribution
E) reconsider the timing of the appraisal
43) The ________ problem occurs when supervisors tend to rate all their subordinates consistently low.
A) central tendency
D) unclear standards
E) halo effect
42) Which performance appraisal problem is associated with supervisors giving all of their subordinates consistently high ratings?
A) central tendency
D) recency effect
E) halo effect
41) The best way to reduce the problem of central tendency in performance appraisals is to ________.
A) rank employees
B) establish SMART goals
C) use graphic rating scales
D) limit the number of appraisals
E) appraise personal characteristics
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.