Adult Health 1 Study Guide
Hematologic (Blood) Unit
Chapters 32, 63-64
Remember that assigned textbook readings should be supplemental to reviewing & studying the Powerpoint presentations. Answers to these study guide questions can be obtained from the textbook chapters, powerpoint presentations, as well as class lectures & in-class activities.
Chapter 32: Assessment of Hematologic Function & Treatment Modalities – (p. 917-922)
*This chapter is an A&P overview of the hematologic system structures, assessment, & diagnostics.
Must Know: Blood Transfusions – (p. 917-922)
1. Describe the pre-transfusion assessments & nursing care that is necessary for patients who are to receive a blood transfusion. See Chart 32-2.
2. Describe the nursing care involved when initiating a blood transfusion for a patient. See Chart 32-2. What additional checks need to be made before hanging & starting the blood transfusion?
3. Describe the nursing care involved following completion of a blood transfusion for a patient. See Chart 32-2.
4. There are many different types of transfusion reactions that can occur in patients. What are some signs and symptoms of transfusion reactions?
5. What should the nurse do if he/she suspects the patient is having a transfusion reaction?
Chapter 33: Management of Patients with Nonmalignant Hematologic Disorders – (p. 925-931, p. 933-941)
Conditions to Know: Anemias, Iron deficiency anemia, Megaloblastic anemia, Pernicious anemia, Sickle cell anemia
1. What is anemia and what are some of the common causes of this condition?
2. What are some risk factors for anemia?
3. What are some signs and symptoms of anemia?
4. What lab values or cultures do we look at to diagnose anemia?
5. What is iron-deficiency anemia and what is the most common cause?
6. What is the primary treatment method for iron-deficiency anemia? What are patient teaching points we would want to include in our patient education regarding this treatment modality? See Chart 33-3.
7. Patients with iron-deficiency anemia should also be encouraged to consume foods high in iron. What are some foods that are high in iron that we should recommend?
8. Megaloblastic anemias develop slowly (over months) and the body can compensate well for a long time before symptoms of anemia will develop. The erythrocytes produced in this type of anemia are abnormally large. Megaloblastic anemia results from a deficiency of which two sources?
9. What are risk factors for the development of folic acid deficiency anemia?
10. What is pernicious anemia?
11. What are some signs and symptoms of pernicious anemia?
12. How is folic acid deficiency and pernicious anemias treated? What teaching points would we want to include in our patient education regarding this treatment modality?
13. What are foods that are high in folic acid or vitamin B12?
14. What is sickle cell anemia & how do patients inherit this disorder?
15. Describe the nursing care that is necessary when caring for a patient in sickle cell crisis.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.