16. LO. 3, 4 Discuss the rationale underlying the enactment of the following tax credits.
a. Rehabilitation expenditures credit.
b. Research activities credit.
c. Low-income housing credit.
d. Earned income credit.
e. Foreign tax credit.
25. LO. 3, 7 Paul Chaing (4522 Fargo Street, Geneva, IL 60134) acquires a qualifying historic structure for $350,000 (excluding the cost of the land) and plans to substantially rehabilitate the structure. He is planning to spend either $320,000 or $380,000 on rehabilitation expenditures. Write a letter to Paul and a memo for the tax research files explaining the following for the two alternative expenditures.
a. The computation that determines the rehabilitation expenditures tax credit available.
b. The effect of the credit on Paul’s adjusted basis in the property.
c. The cash-flow difference as a result of the tax consequences related to his expenditure choice.
27. LO.3 In March 2014, Sparrow Corporation hired three individuals – Austin, Adam, and Angela – all of whom are certified as long-term family assistance recipients. Each of these individuals earned $11,000 during 2014. Only Adam continued to work for Sparrow in 2015, and he earned $13,500 then.
In March 2015, Sparrow hired Sam, who also is certified as a long-term family assistance recipient. During 2015, Sam earned $12,000.
Compute Sparrow’s work opportunity credit for 2014 and 2015.
If Sparrow pays total wages to it employees of $325,000 in 2104 and $342,000 in 2015, what is the entity’s wage deduction for those years?
33. LO.4, 7 Cooper National is incorporated in Alabama. It generated a $5 million profit on its overseas operations this year. Jimenez paid $1 million in income taxes to various countries on these profits. Jimenez’s marginal Federal income tax rate is 35%. Compute the Jimenez foreign tax credit and carryovers for the year.
40. LO.4, 7 Bernadette, a longtime client of yours, is an architect and the president of the local Rotary chapter. To keep up to date with the lasted developments in her profession, she attends continuing education seminars offered by the architecture school at State University. This year, Bernadette spends $2,000 on course tuition to attend such seminars. She also spends another $400 on architecture books during the year. Bernadette’s son is a senior majoring in engineering at the University of the Midwest.
During the calendar year, Bernadette’s son incurs the following expenses: $8,200 for tuition ($4,100 per semester) and $750 for books and course materials. Bernadette’s son, whom she claims as a dependent, lives at home while attending school full-time. Bernadette is married, files a joint return, and as a combined AGI with her husband Morrie of $110,000.
Calculate Bernadette’s education tax credit.
In her capacity as president of the local Rotary chapter, Bernadette has asked you to present a 20- to 30-minute speech outline the different ways the tax law helps defray (1) the cost of higher education and (2) the cost of continuing education once someone is in the workforce. Prepare an outline of possible topics for presentation. A tentative tile for your presentation is “How Can the Tax Law Help Pay for College and Continuing Professional Education?”
55. LO.3, 8, 11 Bonnie and Jake (ages 35 and 36, respectively) are married with no dependents and live in Montana (not a community property state). Because Jake has large medical expenses, they seek your advice about filling separately to save taxes. Their income and expenses for 2014 are as follow:
Bonnie’s salary $42,000
Jake’s salary 25,000
Interest income (joint) 1,500
Rental loss from actively managed rental property (23,000)
Jake’s unreimbursed medical expenses 8,500
All other itemized deduction:*
*None subject to limitations
Determine whether Bonnie and Jake should file jointly or separately for 2014.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.