ECN 212 Homework Set #3 – Dr. Roberts
Homework Set #3 is due in the Lab no later than Friday, April 4, 2014. Late Homework will not be accepted under any circumstance. The early submission deadline is Wednesday, April 2. Early submissions will receive 2 extra credit points. Answers must be turned in on an “exam SYSTEM II” Scantron, form # 229633, available at the ASU Bookstore. Answer sheets must be marked in pencil and contain your name and 10 digit ASU Identification Number.
1. In the figure above, a monopsony will pay the wage rate
a. W1 and hire Q1.
b. W3 and hire Q1.
c. W2 and hire Q2.
d. W1 and hire Q3.
e. W1 and hire Q2.
2. In the figure above, if this were a competitive labor market they would pay the wage rate
a. W2 and hire Q2.
b. W3 and hire Q1.
c. W1 and hire Q3.
d. W1 and hire Q2.
e. W1 and hire Q1.
3. In the figure above, if the government imposes a minimum wage of W2, what quantity of labor will a competitive labor market hire?
a. A quantity less than Q1
4. In the figure above, if the government imposes a minimum wage of W2, what quantity of labor will a monopsonist hire?
b. A quantity less than Q1
Number of Workers Output per Hour ________________________________________
5. According to the table above, if the product price is $3 and the wage rate is $6 per hour, how many workers should this firm hire?
6. According to the table above, the marginal revenue product of the
a. fourth worker is $68.
b. third worker is $3.
c. fifth worker is $3.
d. second worker is $12.
e. first worker is $3.
7. After hiring 151 units of the variable input, labor, a firm determines the MRP to be $.30 and the MFC to be $.33. The firm should
a. increase the output of its product.
b. produce less than 151 units of output.
c. increase the use of labor.
d. continue to produce 151 units of output.
e. decrease the use of labor.
8. In the graph above, if comparable worth doctrine sets the wage rate in market A and market B at $15, then
a. both markets would be in equilibrium.
b. there would be a surplus of workers in both markets.
c. there would be a shortage of workers in market A and a surplus of workers in market B.
d. there would be a shortage of workers in market B and a surplus of workers in market A.
e. there would be a shortage of workers in both markets.
9. According to the table above, what wage rate will a monopsony pay to hire the optimal number of workers?
10. According to the table above, if this were a perfectly competitive input market rather than a monopsony, what wage rate would be paid for the optimal number of workers?
11. Refer to the figure above. If a minimum wage law of $5.15 is imposed, which of the following is correct?
a. Qs people will be employed.
b. A shortage will result equal to .
c. A shortage will result equal to units.
d. There will be a net gain for this labor market because those who keep their jobs gain more than those who lost their jobs.
e. None of the above is correct.
12. Refer to the figure above. If a minimum wage of $3.00 is imposed,
a. some workers will lose their jobs.
b. a surplus will result.
c. more than Qe workers will be hired.
d. Qe workers will be hired.
e. None of the above is true.
13 Comparable worth is derived from the view that pay should be based on
a. the degree of occupational segregation in a labor market.
b. the supply and demand for different types of labor.
c. only the demand side of the labor market.
d. only the supply side of the market.
e. the characteristics of the job.
14. If in the negative income tax proposal the guaranteed income floor is $9,000 and the tax rate is 25%, what is the value of the breakeven income?
15. Refer to the figure above. Assume that total income in Country A and Country B is equal. The poorest 20 percent of country A’s population receives
a. half as much income as the poorest 20 percent of country B’s population.
b. less income than the poorest 20 percent of country B’s population.
c. the same as country B’s richest 20 percent.
d. the same income as the poorest 20 percent of country B’s population.
e. more income than the poorest 20 percent of country B’s population.
16. The most unequal distribution of income is found in
a. formerly communist countries.
b. less developed countries.
c. OPEC countries.
d. the United States.
e. developed countries.
17. Suppose, as a policymaker, that you could order a single change to reduce the incidence of poverty. Which of the following changes is most likely to be effective?
a. Engineering a sustained period of economic growth.
b. Reducing, if not eliminating, the minimum wage.
c. Make income taxes more progressive.
d. Tightening governmental regulations to ease the burden on business.
e. Winning the war on crime and illegal drug use.
18. The Lorenz curve shows __________ within a society.
a. the per capita annual income of individuals
b. the quality of life of the poor
c. the absolute level of income
d. how equitable the distribution of income is
e. the income distribution
19. The Lorenz curve cannot be used to show
a. a summary of distributions of income
b. how a give income is distributed among the population
c. the fairest distribution of income
d. an equal distribution of income
e. the Lorenz curve can be used to show all of the above.
Use the following information to answer the next three questions. Assume that labor demand is given by QD = 140-20p and labor supply is given by QS = 10P-10 where P = wage and Q = quantity of labor.
20. What is the equilibrium wage and number of workers hired in this market?
a. $6, 50
b. $7, 40
c. $5, 40
d. $10, 140
e. $20, 10
21. If a minimum wage of $6 is imposed on the market, how much unemployment will exist?
22. What is the net effect of the $6 minimum wage on this labor market?
a. There is no effect as the minimum wage is set below the equilibrium wage.
b. $30 loss
c. $80 loss
d. $100 loss
e. $20 gain
23. Which of the following statements is true?
a) Raising the minimum wage is an effective way to lift families out of poverty.
b) Households in the bottom income quintile are very likely to remain there throughout their lives.
c) U.S. census poverty data does not include in-kind transfers and therefore overstates poverty rates.
d) Wage discrimination is the largest component of poverty in America.
e) None of the above is true.
24. Which of the following statements proves the existence of wage discrimination?
a. Male prison guards earn more on average than female prison guards.
b. Professors of economics earn more on average than professors of women’s studies.
c. Men earn more on average than women.
d. All of the above prove the existence of wage discrimination.
e. None of the above proves the existence of wage discrimination.
25. What condition would create less worry about the Social Security system?
a. If the amount paid into the social security system by an individual was equal to the amount of the social security trust fund.
b. If the amount paid into the social security system by an individual was equal to the amount collected from all individuals.
c. If the amount paid into the social security system by an individual was equal to the amount of private savings that individual had.
d. If the amount paid into the social security system by an individual was equal to the amount received by that individual in retirement benefits.
e. If the amount paid into the social security system by an individual was the minimum an individual could receive in retirement benefits.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.