Week 5: Competition and Business Conditions in Health Care Markets
Changes in health care financing and the business environment have spurred competition among health care organizations. Patients and health care consumers demand services from suppliers in local markets, and hospitals and providers compete for these patients, depending on their health insurance plans. These forces are leading to changes in existing health care organizational and market structures, including hospital ownership of physicians’ practices (e.g., vertical integration) and the formation of integrated delivery systems. As a health care administrator, you must understand implications of this competition and the often resulting organizational integration.
This week, as you explore competition and business conditions in health care markets, you compare advantages and disadvantages of vertical integration in health care organizational structures. You also recommend strategies for the organizational integration of hospitals and providers.
Week 5 Learning Resources
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
· Getzen, T. (2015).Health economics for the healthcare administrator(Laureate custom edition). New York: Wiley.
· Chapter 8, “Hospitals” (pp. 172–186)
· Chapter 12, “Financing and Ownership of Health Care Providers” (pp. 259–287)
· Colla, C. H., Lewis, V. A., Shortell, S. M., & Fisher, E. S. (2014). First national survey of ACOs finds that physicians are playing strong leadership and ownership roles.Health Affairs,33(6), 964–971.Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Cutler, D., & Scott Morton, F. (2013). Hospitals, market share, and consolidation.Journal of the American Medical Association, 310(18), 1964–1970.Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Fisher, E. S., Shortell, S. M., Kreindler, S. A., Van Citters, A. D., & Larson, B. K. (2012). A framework for evaluating the formation, implementation, and performance of accountable care organizations.Health Affairs,31(11), 2368–2378.Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Healthcare Financial Management Association. (2014a).An HFMA value project report: Acquisition and affiliation strategies. Westchester, IL: Author. Retrieved from http://www.hfma.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=23451An HFMA Value Project Report: Acquisition and Affiliation Strategies by Healthcare Financial Management Association. Copyright 2014 by Healthcare Financial Management Association. Reprinted by permission of Healthcare Financial Management Association via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Week 5 Discussion
Health Care Organizational and Market Structures
Scenario: You are the chief financial officer (CFO) of a hospital located in a highly competitive, urban market split with two competing hospitals. The hospital is considering purchasing or affiliating with a large physicians’ practice. Your hospital has 30% market share, but does not currently have any owned/employed physicians. Private insurers and Medicare are aggressively pushing value-based reimbursement under ACO contracts, and the one competing hospital has already acquired a large physicians’ practice.In an industry as complex as health care, organizational and market structures must be carefully considered. To participate in accountable care organizations (ACOs) and other value-based care initiatives, for example, hospitals need to have a coordinated care organization model across ambulatory care, acute care, and other settings. Developing these coordinated relationships may require vertical integration to ensure efficient utilization. Although there are many advantages to this integration of organizational and market structures, there are some disadvantages for both the hospital and the providers. For this Discussion, examine the following scenario and recommend strategies for the organizational integration of the hospital and practice.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Analyze the provided scenario. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the vertical integration of the hospital and physicians’ practice? What economic factors should be considered?
· Consider strategies for the organizational integration of the hospital and physicians’ practice. Be sure to address the economic factors you identified.
Note: This Discussion will be graded using this rubric: Document: Discussion Rubric (Word document)
Post by Day 3 a cohesive response to the following:
Compare advantages and disadvantages of the vertical integration of the hospital and physicians’ practice, including economic factors that should be considered. Then, recommend strategies for the organizational integration of the hospital and practice. Defend or argue your recommendations using economic principles.
Support your response by identifying and explaining key points and/or examples presented in the Learning Resources.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings. Consider how your colleagues’ postings relate to the information presented in the Learning Resources and to your own posting.
Respond by Day 5 to at least two of your colleagues’ postings and continue the Discussion through Day 7. Expand on this Discussion by providing additional insights or alternative perspectives.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.