Answer the following questions while watching this video (Links to an external site.)
1. In the opening line of the speech, Ariel makes a joke saying, “I’ll tell you a little bit about irrational behavior. Not yours, of course – other people’s.” Describe the cognitive bias he is pointing out from the very beginning of his talk.
2. Ariely’s first example is the image of the two tables. What irrational thinking is demonstrated by this image?
3. What happens after he takes away the red lines?
4. Ariely says, “Our intuition is really fooling us in a repeatable, predictable, consistent way, and there is almost nothing we can do about it, aside from taking a ruler and starting to measure it.” What implications does that statement have for thinking beyond measuring a table length? What does it say about what we’ll have to do to avoid being flawed or biased thinking?
5. What do people have a harder time recognizing “cognitive illusions” than recognizing “visual illusions”?
6. What does the example of the organ donors demonstrate about how we make decisions?
7. Ariely says, “But when it comes to us, we have such a feeling that we’re in the driver’s seat, such a feeling that we’re in control and we are making the decisions, that it’s very hard to even accept the idea that we actually have an illusion of making a decision, rather than an actual decision” Paraphrase and explain this statement in your own words.
8. Ariely goes on to say that some people might explain away the organ donor phenomena by saying that it is something that people don’t care about. But, he says “it’s so complex that we don’t know what to do. And because we have no idea what to do, we just pick whatever it was that was chosen for us.” What is he saying about how we make the most difficult and complex decisions in our lives?
9. What does the example of the physicians and the hip replacement surgery demonstrate about how we make decisions?
10. What do the examples of the weekend trip option, the Economist advertisement, and the Tom and Jerry images demonstrate about how people make decisions?
11. How does Ariely believe that we have done a better job dealing with our physical world than with our mental world?
12. What does he say that we need to do to “design a better mental world”?
13. Go back to the decisions and criteria that you listed in the quick write. What are some ways that you might be biased when you make those decisions? How might some of Ariely’s examples apply to you?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.