1. Advocates, contends, points out, and states are all examples of
A. helping verbs.
2. Which of the following is an example of opinion?
A. The Canadian men’s hockey team won the gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics.
B. Organic food should be made more affordable.
C. Abraham Lincoln presented the Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863.
D. The color blue sometimes signifies sadness or depression.
3. Which of the following would require documentation in an academic research paper?
A. A map of Brooklyn, NY, found in an atlas
B. A statement regarding Thomas Jefferson being the third President of the United States
C. A photograph from your family reunion
D. An observation you made while on a field trip to a zoo
4. Which of the following is an example of a primary source?
A. Benjamin Franklin’s diary
B. A journal article that reviews various reports on Benjamin Franklin
C. A website that tells stories about Benjamin Franklin
D. A biography of Benjamin Franklin
5. What should you do if you can’t find all the needed elements for an MLA citation of an Internet source?
A. List the information that you do find in the normal order and format.
B. Contact the website to get the missing information.
C. Make up the missing information.
D. Omit a citation for the source.
6. Which of the following do you not normally need to take into consideration when determining if an author is biased?
A. Your age as a reader
B. The tone of the writing
C. The author’s background and its effects on the writing
D. The descriptive and connotative language used in the writing
7. Suppose that you’re going to interview someone in preparation for writing a research paper on teaching techniques for macroeconomics. For this topic, who would be the best person to interview?
A. A student in a macroeconomics course
B. The president of a university
C. A professor of macroeconomics
D. An economist
8. Why is it better to rely on information from scholarly journals, not magazines, in academic writing?
A. Scholarly journals are more difficult to find.
B. Authors in scholarly journals are generally specialists in their field.
C. Scholarly journals are more entertaining, magazines are more reliable
D. Magazines are entertaining, which means they can’t be educational.
9. A type of plagiarism where information is cut and pasted from an Internet source without giving credit to that source is called
B. intentional plagiarism.
C. Internet theft.
10. “Because I have eaten French food in France, I can say that French cuisine is better than American cooking.” This statement is an example of a
11. Prewriting can be helpful when trying to narrow a topic because it
A. can usually be submitted as the final essay.
B. helps you eliminate ideas that would support your thesis.
C. sorts good ideas from bad.
D. can reveal an idea that may become your thesis.
*Please check against your text. If this is Penn Foster, it is very text-specific. While both of these answers would work, your text will identify one that is better than the other.
12. Which type of writing assignment would benefit the most from the use of outside sources?
A. An essay about your last vacation with your family
B. An essay describing your favorite kind of automobile
C. The first act of a play about John F. Kennedy
D. An informative essay about the transformation of a caterpillar
13. Which of the following is not a generalization?
A. Women mature faster than men.
B. Soccer is a sport that involves a ball.
C. On every college campus athletes get special treatment.
D. Nothing is made in America anymore.
14. Which of the following is not a tip that can help you find good sources for a topic?
A. Keep track of citation information for each source.
B. Have a clear system of notetaking.
C. Have a narrowed topic and working thesis.
D. Limit yourself to one source in the beginning.
15. You’re preparing an essay on working conditions in a shirt factory. Which of the following tips does your text offer for doing that effectively?
A. Visit a different factory first so you can compare the two.
B. Evaluate your dominant first impressions.
C. Skip taking notes since they can influence your opinion.
D. Finalize your thesis before beginning your research.
*Again, please check against your text. If this is Penn Foster, it is very text-specific. While both of these answers would work, your text will identify one that is better than the other.
16. In which of the following situations would paraphrasing be useful and ethical?
A. You wish to make it seem as if the author’s ideas are yours.
B. You want to change the author’s meaning.
C. You want to use an author’s idea but don’t wish to quote the author directly.
D. You don’t fully understand what the author is saying.
17. The MLA format for citing a book has six parts, beginning with the author’s name. What appears in the fifth position?
A. Place of publication
18. In MLA style, how long must a quote be to be a block quotation?
A. More than 4 lines B. 50 words or more C. More than 2 lines D. More than 8 lines
19. What is the difference between a bibliography and an annotated bibliography?
A. An annotated bibliography includes a brief summary of each source’s content and focus.
B. An annotated bibliography includes handwritten notes in the margins.
C. It’s easier and faster to complete an annotated bibliography.
D. An annotated bibliography doesn’t need to be in any special format.
20. Which type of Internet resource would be the most reliable in providing accurate information?
A. An email you received from your instructor
B. An online forum dedicated to the your topic
C. A general reference site such as Encyclopedia.com
D. A news site such as MSNBC
21. Which of the following sentences containing a quotation is punctuated correctly?
A. The mechanic asked me “Have you had the oil changed in your car this year”?
B. The mechanic asked “have you had the oil changed in your car this year?”
C. The mechanics asked me, “have you had the oil changed in your car this year”?
D. The mechanic asked, “Have you had the oil changed in your car this year?”
22. Which of the following statements is true about choosing sources? A. It’s most important to determine whether or not a source is reliable before using it. B. If something is on the Internet, it must be true.
C. Books and articles written prior to the year 2000 are the most accurate.
D. A person’s opinion makes the best source when you hear it yourself.
23. Which of the following is a false statement about an APA References page?
A. You should put the list on a separate page at the end of your paper.
B. You should double-space the entire list.
C. You should organize the list according to publication date, with the oldest date first.
D. You should italicize titles of books and names of journals.
24. Which of the following would not be considered plagiarism?
A. Acknowledging a source when directly quoting but not including quotation marks
B. Using graphs, tables, diagrams that someone else created, without citing them
C. Summarizing source information and including a citation on the Works Cited page
D. Submitting an essay that a friend submitted several years ago
25. Why should academic writers use the third-person point of view for a research paper?
A. This point of view limits your credibility.
B. This point of view allows you to be more objective in your writing.
C. When using this point of view, you can easily switch to a different point of view.
D. This point of view keeps your writing simple.
26. Which of the following is not a good technique for learning your way around a library?
A. Consulting with the librarians.
B. Wandering around without a purpose the first time you visit
C. Reviewing the library website
D. Taking a formal or guided tour of the library.
27. Which of the following is an example of a secondary source?
A. A biography of Stephen King
B. Stephen King’s letters to his editor
C. A novel by Stephen King
D. An interview with Stephen King
28. What is the best reason for developing an annotated bibliography for your essay?
A. It takes the place of your Works Cited page.
B. If your essay isn’t completed on time, you can submit your annotated bibliography.
C. You won’t have to worry about plagiarism.
D. If you need more information, your annotated bibliography can lead you to it quicker.
29. Why is it helpful to search for a bibliography on a topic?
A. A bibliography provides only books you can use as sources.
B. A bibliography can provide you with a list of various sources on your topic.
C. Once you complete the basic bibliography search, you’re finished finding sources.
D. A bibliography search normally isn’t helpful.
30. You’re working to come up with an interesting topic. Which of the following terms would not apply to that effort?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.