Health Information Technology Architecture
Largo Corporation has recently acquired Suburban Independent Clinic, Inc. (SIC) which serves the general outpatient medical needs of a suburb just outside of Washington, D.C. It competes directly with CVS Minute Clinic and Urgent Care Center. The corporation appointed you as the chief information officer (CIO) of the clinic in charge of managing clinical and administrative information, technologies and systems.
The clinic is feeling the pressure in many respects – cost, quality of care, access, and efficiency. Disease and personal injuries are on the rise, requirements for efficient and effective care delivery are increasing, and healthcare costs have climbed over time.
Legislation such as the Affordable Care Act has called for the greater adoption of health information technology to improve access, delivery, efficiency and quality of health care serves and treatments while reducing costs and the occurrence of medical errors. This project explores the development and use of information technology IT since it has emerged as a powerful enabler in helping to achieve multiple goals and objectives across the entire U.S. healthcare system.
As the CIO you realize the value and importance of applying IT and have been asked to analyze the issues faced by the clinic and develop a new IT architecture for the facility.
You will benefit from this project in that it will develop your knowledge of information technology in the context of the health care field. So welcome to the world of health information technology and let’s begin this journey step-by-step.
3. Steps to Completion
Your instructor will form the teams. Each member is expected to contribute to the team agreementwhich documents the members’ contact information and sets goals and expectations for the team.
1) Understand the Setting
The mission statement of Suburban Independent Clinic is as follows:
1. Provide high quality medical care to the patient regardless of race, ethnicity, and gender.
2. Optimize visit experience, communication standards and patient understanding.
3. Treat patients with respect.
4. Maintain patient confidentiality and security.
5. Provide a pleasing working environment for employees.
6. Follow established policies and procedures for clinics such as HIPAA.
Besides yourself, employees include:
· Clinic Director
· Attending physicians (general practitioners)
· Office manager [designated as the Health Information Management (HIM) Manager]
A survey was conducted involving the patients and specific employees of SIC. Here is a representative sample of their feedback:
· I can only make appointments by phone. SIC, you need to move to the 21st century!
· The only way I can view my medical record is by being physically in the office.
· Boy, it takes a really long time for the office people to find my medical records. I notice that they keep them in paper files. Once they gave the doctor the wrong record for me because I had the same name as another patient.
· I once saw an employee leave my medical records out in the open where anyone can view it!
· I have to complete all forms by hand. What a pain!
· Drug costs are skyrocketing. We need to look if pharmaceutical companies are ripping us off!
· My pharmacist once told me that the prescription from the doctor was difficult to read. She had to call the doctor’s office to find out what medication was being prescribed.
· I often forget what the doctor told me after my examination especially when he gives a lot of instructions.
· I had a drug-drug interaction that could have been prevented. I am suing SIC!
· I have a difficult time getting to the office. No one will take me and the cost of a taxi is expensive.
· I like the fact that the receptionist is bilingual but sometimes she is too busy and cannot interpret for me.
· I cannot read the handwritten charts from Dr. Smith because of his lousy penmanship. Some comments he includes are scribbled in the margins.
· I like to identify trends and patterns among my patients (is there an epidemic of a particular virus?) but it is too much of a manual process to compile and compare all of the records. I also like to explore trends among all clinics in the region and in the country.
· It takes a long time to get patient records from the filing cabinet. It is sometimes misfiled or even missing!
· I wish I could better communicate with my patients beyond an office conversation.
· I want to start a wellness program but printing and mailing costs makes it prohibitive.
· I wish I could see the patient’s medical history from birth to the present particularly when the patient has changed doctors.
· I have a difficult time managing my certifications. They are all lying in my office drawer or hanging in frames.
· I like spending time with patients and teaching but I hate the paperwork and administration issues I face every day!
· Often medical supplies were low and had to be ordered them by phone at the last minute.
· Sometimes there is an inadequate staffing of nurses and I have to work a double shift. It’s just not fair!
· Occasionally we have to repeat tests because we cannot find the patient’s data.
· I don’t have the time to take training sessions I need during regular office hours.
· It takes a while to contact immunization registries by phone.
· I am spend less and less time on patient care and more time with bookkeeping.
Office Manager / HIM Manager
· The facility is running out of space due to the frequent addition of file cabinets to hold the growing patient data. It is expensive to buy these cabinets and we are losing space that we normally use for patient care.
· Documentation is inadequate when corporate auditor want to examine records for cost and compliance reviews.
· Once we lose medical records they were gone forever.
· Health insurance claims are handled manually and subject to errors. And when there is changes in the rules, we learn about it much too late and some employees are not informed of the change.
· We have a frequent cash flow problems because we tend to send bills late. We should ask for payments on the spot!
· Please, I don’t want to use computer technology since it will increase costs tremendously. I don’t believe those computer systems vendors – they are just out to make a buck.
· I am overworked and underpaid! I would like to start a union of clinic office managers!
· Archived medical records are stored in a warehouse. If they need to be retrieved they need to faxed, scanned or mail which is a time consuming process when it could be a life or death situation.
My portion of the assignment is this:
4) Prepare a migration strategy
Moving from the “as-is” to the “to-be” state can very challenging. Review techniques for migrating an organization to a new set of technologies and processes. Keep in mind change management strategies.
Deliverable: Outline a plan that addresses how the organization will move to its new architecture.
There should also be around 4-5 slides that consist with the presentation of my portion.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.