1. Preferred stock offers shareholders the right to ________.
receive dividends after the common shareholders receive any dividends
receive, in the event of bankruptcy, a share of the assets before common shareholders
2. In exchange for stock, corporations may receive ________.
cash or other assets
3. ________ is the stock sold to the public.
4. The owners of ________ stock have the specific right to vote for members of the board of directors.
both common and preferred
5. A monetary value assigned to and printed on each share of stock is called ________.
additional paid-in capital
6. AZ Best, Inc.’s corporate charter allows it to issue 1,500,000 shares of common stock. In 2011, its first year of business, the company sold 200,000 shares of common stock. In 2011, the company bought back 5,000 shares to be held as treasury stock. At December 31, 2011, how many shares of common stock are outstanding?
7. A difference between preferred stock and common stock is preferred shareholders ________.
have voting rights, while common shareholders do not
have the right to share in any assets left if the company goes out of business after both the creditors and common shareholders receive their share
must receive their dividends before any of the common shareholders are paid
have the right to buy new shares in order to maintain their percentage ownership before the company can issue new shares to the general public
8. Team Shirts reported total shareholders’ equity of $80,000 on its October 31 balance sheet. During November, the business earned $270,000, and declared and paid a cash dividend of $20,000. What was total shareholders’ equity on November 30?
9. The date of record is the date ________.
when cash is actually paid to the shareholders
on which the board of directors of a corporation announces that a dividend will be paid
when earnings are declared
used to determine exactly who will receive dividends
10. A company has 2,000 shares of $100 par, 6%, noncumulative preferred stock outstanding. If the board of directors declares a dividend this year, how much will the preferred shareholders receive?
$200,000 in total
$6 per share
$60 per share
$100 per share
11. Treasury stock ________.
is a contra-equity account
is the amount of stock issued by the company
is a contra-asset account
results in an increase in total shareholders’ equity
12. When a company buys shares of its own stock and holds them as treasury stock, ________.
its earnings per share will increase
its earnings per share are not affected
its earnings per share will decrease
the market price of its stock will decrease
13. A corporation’s distribution of new shares of stock to the corporation’s current shareholders is called a ________.
14. Equitable, Inc. issued no new common stock and had 100,000 shares issued and outstanding during 2011. The following information is taken from Equitable’s accounting records.
Net income for the year ended, December 31, 2011$370,000
Retained earnings, December 31, 2010$280,000
Retained earnings, December 31, 2011$360,000
Total shareholders’ equity at December 31, 2011$725,000
What was the dividend declared during the year ended December 31, 2011?
15. Team Shirts issued 20,000 shares of stock for $20 per share. This transaction increased Cash $400,000 and increased ________ $400,000.
Additional paid-in capital
16. PDG Corporation had a return on equity of 18%. Beginning and ending shareholders’ equity for the corporation were $570,000 and $560,000 respectively. There were 350,000 common shares and no preferred shares outstanding. What was net income for the year?
17. Use the following information for Equitable, Inc. to answer the following question(s). Equitable issued no new common stock and had 100,000 common shares issued and outstanding during 2011. Equitable has no preferred stock.
Net income for the year ended, December 31, 2011 $370,000
Retained earnings, December 31, 2010 $280,000
Retained earnings, December 31, 2011 $360,000
Total shareholders’ equity at December 31, 2011 $725,000
Total liabilities at December 31, 2010 $105,000
Total liabilities at December 31, 2011 $385,000
Total assets at December 31, 2010 $750,000
What was earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2011?
18. Return on equity is ________.
net income divided by the average number of common shares outstanding
total shareholders’ equity divided by the average number of outstanding common shares
net income divided by sales
net income divided by average shareholders’ equity
19. Team Shirts had net income of $23,000. The balance sheet showed beginning and ending balances in shareholders’ equity of $100,000 and $110,000, respectively. There were no preferred shares and 20,000 common shares outstanding. Calculate the return on equity.
20. Risks associated with owning an investment in a company’s stock include the risk that ________.
the company may not be able to buy back the stock when it matures
this particular stock becomes part of a diversified portfolio
the company will not be able to make regular interest payments to shareholders
the company will not be successful
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.